Vehicle registration flag

jpd52

Hello, I have a problem with state taxes I owe in Maryland and as a result, I am flagged from renewing my registration and license. I. Cannot pay the amount they want which is 16,000.00 deposit on a 33,000.00 debt. This is so large because I owned a tractor trailer and the tax years got filed estimated on my gross with no itemize deductions. Anyway I was wondering if I move to Florida would I be able to register my car there and transfer my license even though my attorneys are still trying to work out a payment arrangement with Maryland?

Odds are that any other state would see the hold on your license and not issue you a new one. You might have luck with vehicle registration in another state, but not the drivers license. Registering in another state if you do not live there could lead to other problems though.
Can you work with them to establish a payment plan to get the hold lifted? A lot of times all they need is contact with you to work it out.

If your attorneys can end up working out a payment plan/arrangement with Maryland, "maybe" they will remove the hold. I don't believe moving will work for you.

You should be aware of the Driver License Compact that exists between most states. There is a recognition between states of respecting the driving laws of other states. This also extends to the National Driver Register where your information about your inability to renew your license in your current state of residence will probably be available to other states. If a loophole ever existed, I'm guessing it is long since closed by now. Wish you the best of luck. Its a tough place to be.

Back