Vehicle ownership transfer.

M

Mindriot

Jurisdiction
Washington
My ex and I went into a business venture together and decided we need to upgrade the truck I had for business purposes. I traded in my 07 silverado 1500 for a 03 GM diesel 2500 anticipating needing to tow large trailers. When we made the purchase the truck was supposed to go into the business name, but there was a critical part of the business paperwork not in place yet. We ended up putting the truck into her name for a period and it was supposed to be transferred into the business. The business was basically rode into the ground by her, causing havoc on both our credit. I now need to get the truck in my name but due to credit reasons I cant do a refinance. I need to know what options I have to get my truck in my name. Any help is much appreciated!!

I need to know what options I have to get my truck in my name.

I'm guessing she is an ex-girlfriend, not an ex-wife.

She OWNS it. You don't. You are free to ask her to sign the title over to you but if there is a lien on the title that will probably trigger the due on sale clause and if you don't pay off the balance in full the lender will repo the truck.

If she says no and you have no contract regarding the truck (and I expect you don't) then you have no options. IT'S HER TRUCK.

There's a healthy (and expensive) life lesson here about getting financially involved with girlfriends (boyfriends or any kind of friends or relatives). The lesson is DON'T.

If you are unable to finance it, then you can't own it. Plain and simple. If you are making her payments, then you should consider them rental payments.

Back