Vechicle broke down dont trust dealer estimate.

Lynn77

Jurisdiction
California
I purchased a car less than a month ago. After 3 weeks it breaks down. The dealer offered 30 day warranty on trans and engine. Of course its the transmission. I hadnt mad my first payment and it stops working. I had a couple mechenics check it out and it appeared to be the brake light switch. The dealer picks it up and its a different story...At this point I dont trust the dealer. The mechanic quoted a higher price to me than to the dealer. What alarms me is that I havent received an estimate and the mechanic wants the money sent to his personal account. My down payment was 6K and now I have to pay another 1K and the vechicle is in the shop. How can I protect thus transaction now. I need my vechicle back but I dont trust the dealer or mechanic.

I wouldn't deal with any mechanic who wants money sent to his personal account up front.

Reputable repair shops do the work and you pay when you pick up the car.

Please explain the contradictions in your post. First you say it's the transmission (which shouldn't cost you anything because it's under warranty) then you say it's the brake light switch and that shouldn't cost $1000 to fix.

When the car broke down what did it do or not do? Is it drivable?

Where is it now? At the dealer or at the mechanic?

Note that your post does raise any apparent legal issue.

I purchased a car less than a month ago.

I'm guessing used. Correct?

The dealer offered 30 day warranty on trans and engine.

And...??? Did you buy the warranty? I'm guessing not.

Of course its the transmission. . . . I had a couple mechenics check it out and it appeared to be the brake light switch.

A transmission problem is not something that could be confused with a problem with a brake light switch.

The mechanic quoted a higher price to me than to the dealer. What alarms me is that I havent received an estimate

What is the distinction you are trying to draw between a quote and an estimate?

How can I protect thus transaction now.

Not really sure what this question means.

I need my vechicle back but I dont trust the dealer or mechanic.

Ok...so...take it to a different mechanic that you do trust.

By the way, you might want to read this.

Note that your post does raise any apparent legal issu

I'm guessing used. Correct?

The warranty is 50/50. I got it.

And...??? Did you buy the warranty? I'm guessing not.

A transmission problem is not something that could be confused with a problem with a brake light switch.

What is the distinction you are trying to draw between a quote and an estimate?

Not really sure what this question means.

Ok...so...take it to a different mechanic that you do trust.

By the way, you might want to read this.

I wouldn't deal with any mechanic who wants money sent to his personal account up front.

Please explain the contradictions in your post. First you say it's the transmission (which shouldn't cost you anything because it's under warranty) then you say it's the brake light switch and that shouldn't cost $1000 to fix.

Where is it now? At the dealer or at the mechanic?[/QUOT

At the dealers mechanic..He agreed to pay for half the cost.

He wants his money before he does any work.

I had another mechanic look at it and he said it was the brake light switch. The warranty was for half the repairs.

It would not turn on and would not shift into neutral for the tow. It was stuck in park.

Where is it now? At the dealer or at the mechanic?

At the dealers mechanic.

Your follow up posts are hard to follow, and I can't completely tell what new information you've provided. Since it is a used car, the sale was "as is," except as provided in the warranty. You'll need to follow the terms of the warranty in order to have the repairs done in accordance with its terms. As noted, there should be no need to pay up front (and I'd be surprised if the law doesn't prohibit a mechanic from demanding up front payment -- that's why I gave you the link to the BAR web site).

Your follow up posts are hard to follow, and I can't completely tell what new information you've provided. Since it is a used car, the sale was "as is," except as provided in the warranty. You'll need to follow the terms of the warranty in order to have the repairs done in accordance with its terms. As noted, there should be no need to pay up front (and I'd be surprised if the law doesn't prohibit a mechanic from demanding up front payment -- that's why I gave you the link to the BAR web site).

Thank you so much! It really helped..I conveyed the message that I shouldnt have to pay upfront. I still need my estimate regarding the vehicle from the mechanic and I will not send money to personal account.

If you think something shady it's going on you should get additional estimates elsewhere for comparison.
There is no brake light issue that will prevent a car from running, and a transmission problem won't prevent it from starting.

Unless the warranty requires it to be serviced by the dealer you should have some options for where to take it.

If you think something shady it's going on you should get additional estimates elsewhere for comparison.
There is no brake light issue that will prevent a car from running, and a transmission problem won't prevent it from starting.

Unless the warranty requires it to be serviced by the dealer you should have some options for where to take it.

He insists that I use this guy. I tried to get it done in my area and he refused.

He insists that I use this guy. I tried to get it done in my area and he refused.

Read the warranty, learn what benefits you actually have, as well as what choices you are FREE to make.

If you don't, you'll be scammed and fleeced.

If it isn't required in the warranty he can insist until he turns blue. Read it carefully .

I read it again. It doesnt say that I have to use this guy. Its been nutty here. Ive only been in Socal a year and a half. Ive ran into some real characters I dont know any reliable mechanics here yet.

Make sure you follow whatever terms are set in the warranty. Anything outside of that is a request and you can always say no or negotiate.
It sounds like you still don't really know what is wrong with the car, and that is something you need to know and understand before authorizing any repairs to be done.

Make sure you follow whatever terms are set in the warranty. Anything outside of that is a request and you can always say no or negotiate.
It sounds like you still don't really know what is wrong with the car, and that is something you need to know and understand before authorizing any repairs to be done.

Youre right...And it hasnt been explained. It was just its the transmission...but nothing explained..

It's either the transmission or the brake issue. It's not both and honestly doesn't sound like either. Just take it to someone else. If they did any service to it you pay for what they did.

Back