VA Tax - Garnishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

silky

:mad:

I attended Hampton University in VA. 2001 was the first time I ever filed taxes. After filing and receiving a refund, there was a concern regarding my residency. The issue was settled. Now after 7 years the issue has come up again and The Commomwealth of VA on Nov. 27, 08 garnished my entire paycheck. I contacted the state of Georgia and they have no record of me filing Georgia state taxes in 2001. The tax dept of VA is searching their database for tax year 2001. I graduated from Hampton in 2003.

I never received any notice from the state of VA. I do not owe the State of Virginia.

What can I do to get my full paycheck back. Can your entire wages be garnished.

Since first posting this information, I have found all tax paperwork with the preparers' name and guess what, I did file 2001 state taxes in VA.

How can I get my paycheck amount back (its not a small amount)?

Last edited:
Exact same issue

My boyfriend has his entire check garnished last December for state taxes "owed" to the state of Virginia for the exact same year. The only recourse we have left now (after trying other avenues to get records) is to contact the SS department to get a copy of his W2 from that year. He worked for the Sheriff's department back then and filed the year before and the year after. It seems very convenient for the state of Virginia to be able to just arbitrarily take money from people for records they seemed to have lost. I'd like to hear what recourse can be taken as an entire paycheck and $150 each paycheck is still being taken out and all totaled is a huge chunk of money.

Susanne Bullo

Silky - you can contact the taxation department in Virginia and send them copies of exactly what you have. I'm certain you'll get some song and dance about it taking 6-8 weeks to process. It's funny how it's guilty until proven innocent in this case and it seems to me that some sort of recourse can and should be taken against the state of Virginia.

Susanne Bullo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back