Utility Poles

Status
Not open for further replies.

cartman35

Is it legal for a muncipal utility company to charge indirect labor, meals, etc to an insurance company that is replacing a pole? I'm in Tennessee and my insurance company is being charged $21k to replace a single pole that was broken in an auto accident. They say they are entitled to this by law, but I can't find anything to support their arguement.

If you are the at fault driver, then you are responsible for damages caused by your negligence. That is why you carry insurance.

utility poles - clarification

Is it legal for a muncipal utility company to charge indirect labor, meals, etc to an insurance company that is replacing a pole? I'm in Tennessee and my insurance company is being charged $21k to replace a single pole that was broken in an auto accident. They say they are entitled to this by law, but I can't find anything to support their arguement.

My question is not about the liability issue of damages, it's about the legality of the charges. An insurance policy is to bring someone back to where they were prior to the accident. It appears that our local utility company charges 3times the amount since an insurance company is paying for the repairs. This would mean that the utility company is making money off the accident. Most companies don't charge for the cost of doing business, but they are saying they are legally intitled to it. That is where the question come in.

If your insurance company feels they are overcharging, they will either reject the claim or the adjuster will negotiate a reduced price. The the utility company has the option to take you to court but they will have to prove their damages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back