Utilitiy Bill Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennifer

Hello, Our local gas company here in IL is Nicor Gas. When I bought my house in July 2001, Nicor sent us a bill for $500+ dollars from a previous address I hadn't lived at for 4 years. The name on the bill at the previous address isn't even my name. Nicor asked for a final bill from the old address and a bill from the other places I've lived since then to prove I wasn't living there when those charges were incurred. Their (Nicor's) records only go back 2-3 years and the same goes for the other utilities. They are threatening to report me to a collection agency and mess up my credit report. All I have is a copy of my old lease from my landlord. I can prove where I have lived since with old bills but they claim that isn't good enough because some people have mutiple residences.
Please help before my credit is effected.
Thanks,
Jennifer

You might do best challenging their bill in writing and send it certified, return receipt requested. The law typically requires a written dispute (as oral proof of disputing a demand is difficult to establish and always raised by the debtor!)

You might tell them that they have nerve sending you a bill after four years, especially since you explained to them that it wasn't yours, gave them proof, and was not even in your name. You may want to state that you will file a countersuit and file complaints with the appropriate authorities if they continue to harass you needlessly and without cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back