1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Using of a system failure for your advantage Computer Crimes, Hacking

Discussion in 'Criminal Charges' started by Newbie123, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Newbie123

Newbie123 Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Ontario
    How could a website owner charge You if You found and used a failure in their system that could give You advantage. What kind of crime would You be commiting?
    Let's say it's a well known safety issue and the website developer hasn't done his homework, and You get into the site to play normally and You find that if You click twice in the button to get paid, You get paid twice.
    What kind of crime would it be, and if the website is in another jurisdiction, would You be facing your law or their law?

2. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

Sorry - this forum is for US law matters only.

3. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

4. Newbie123

I'm asking about US law matters. The said website is hosted in the US... But if it wasn't, what law does apply to me? I mean, If I'm in the US and the website is not, should I look for help about their law and not mine?

5. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

A moderator already pointed out that your question is not appropriate for this forum, as this forum deals with US law matters only. "Ontario" is not a US state. The law that covers you where you live is what counts...as I recall, that is Brazilian and/or Maltese law.

6. Newbie123

7. Newbie123

You're right.
    Why there are options for other country laws if the forum is only for US law?(no ofense, just curious)

So... that crime that one woulb be commiting would be dictated by his own law and not that website's law, is that it?

8. Zigner

Zigner Well-Known Member

Because that's the default for the forum.

Generally, yes, but not always. I would suggest you contact a local attorney to discuss your online activities in greater detail.

Newbie123 likes this.
  9. Newbie123

I talked to one, He didn't seem to know what he was talking about :/...
    But thank You. I'll look into it...

10. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

This question doesn't make much sense as phrased. I assume that the "how" would be by sending a bill, but I doubt that's what you really intended to ask.

That depends on the relevant facts, none of which appear in your post with any measure of clarity.

Play what? What does "play normally" mean? What does "click twice in the button" mean? Why would you (the person using the site) get paid for something? Why do you keep capitalizing the word "you"?

"If I'm in the US." Are you? Why did you tag your post as relating to Ontario (Canada, I assume)? Are you in Ontario, Canada? If you're in jurisdiction X, then that's the jurisdiction whose laws should matter to you, unless you plan on personally visiting some other jurisdiction.

I've asked this question multiple times since I started posting here and have yet to get a sensible response.