using club name to run a business

Status
Not open for further replies.

guestpost

I was a member of a club for bird lovers. As a member I started selling pet foods through a distributor who advised me to use my name and the clubs name for tax purposes over state lines. I had a bill with this company I disputed with them regarding the amount. I refused to pay it and now they are trying to hold the club responsible. I understand that the club can sue me for the money but are there any criminal charges they can bring against me for using the club name?

If an authorized member of the club gave you the authority to do what you are representing, then you should have been able to do what you did. The question revolves around whether (a) the person who authorized you actually had the authority to do so, or (b) whether that same person may not have had the authority but reasonably appeared to have the authority to grant it to you. There is also the question of whether you followed the limits of what you were told you could do.

In any event, your potential liability is almost certainly limited to civil claims and not criminal charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back