used car sale wont pass inspection

DTondreau2002

I bought a 2002 altima. I found the add on craigslist. The car turned out to be a sale from a registered dealer tht is a machanic. I looked at the car test drove it. I noticed when I switched gears the car

jumped a little. So I asked the mechanic why it does tht. He sed it needed a motor mount. Other then that everything was great. So I said ok I will buy it if he puts on the motor mount. So I gave him

$2500 cash. He gave me bill of sale title n everything to get registered. I left the car so he can do the motormount an I went back the next day with my plates. I drove the car to mKe sure it did not

jumpwhen I switch gears n it diddnt. He put my plates on and my registration. He tld meto drive it for about 50miles and bring it bak so he can do the inspection. I only need the car for local use. So

about 3 days later the check engine light comes on. Im not at 50miles yet. I bring it bak to him as I go their the light goes off. I tell him the light is going on n offn I need the inspection. H e says lets

see whats going on n hooks the machine to my car to see if any codes come up. He says I need to drive it more becuz 2codes are comming up n im only allowed to have 1 for it to pass. He says

jump on the hwy go about 4 exits n come rite bak to me. So thts wut I did. I come bak he hooks the machine bak up to the car n says im all set for my inspection. he has his boss send me sumwhere

about 10min away becuz he dnt do inspections. So I go to the guy he sends me to and the guy says he cnt pass the inspection becuz it needs a left upper tie rod and a right ball joint, n thts

dangerous to be driving the car lik tht. So I go bak n tell him n he tells me I have to pay $375. I dnt belive I should have to pay to get this done. Am I wrong??? I need help!

You have nothing, OP, nothing.
You took a risk by buying a junker off of CraigsList.
You should have taken the car to your mechanic, or had your mechanic accompany you and inspect teh car before you bought it.
You also bought the car "as is".
It was bought from a guy who happens to work for a car dealer, that's a private sale.
Your remedy might lie in a small claims lawsuit, but that's a stretch.
You bought a bucket of bolts for $2,500.
If you do that in the future, make sure it passes inspection BEFORE you pay for the car.
Once you give the seller your money, he or she has no need to worry about NOT cheating you.

You don't have to pay HIM to get this done, you can certainly go elsewhere now that you know he is less than reliable. But as soon as you gave him your money and he gave you the vehicle and title, it was your vehicle in the condition it was in. Now dealers are held to certain standards of safety and it's probably state specific as to whether this issue would fall under those standards. You could check with New York DMV and possibly file a complaint with them. His dealer license number should be on the title.

Generally a used car is sold/bought as is - it's buyer beware!

Agree. It was your responsibility to inspect the car or have YOUR mechanic inspect it prior to purchase. However, neither of these two things would cause the check engine light to come on. I would have another mechanic check it out.

Do yourself a favor and shop around a little but to find a better price. Tie rod and ball joint are easy, fast repairs. Most of the cost is in labor.

Last edited:
Back