Used Car Purchase - Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ominus

I purchased a car about 2 years ago and I never recieved the title. The seller was a person known by a friend of mine and I was referred to him. The car was purchased for 11,500.00 using a check and the seller agreed to provide me with the title as soon as it arrived in the mail from the original lien holder. He informed me that he was going to use a part of the sale proceeds to pay off the lien and then send me the title or I could just pick it up. A few weeks passed and I attempted to communicate with him and the seller is nowhere to be found. No longer lives at the place were I purchased the car, phone number was disconnected and I have no way of reaching him. Should I have a police report taken? Please advise as I am not sure of the best way of going about this.

In addition, I was contacted by a repo agency who is attempting to reposses the car but they only tried to contact me once. They asked if I knew his whereabouts.

Please help. Dont know what options I have.

I hate to say it this way but you are screwed unless you can find this person. This person stole the money from you but it's cloaked in a civil contract and it is unlikely the police will get involved because of that. If you work with the lien holder they are going to want the car. You need to find this guy, sue him and then maybe they will pursue a criminal complaint against him. I'm sorry.

1) Why were you contacted by a repo agency - how did they even know to call you?

2) The repo company is calling because, legally, it appears they may have superior title than you to the car. In fact, you'd have to use your money to pay off the loan and sue your former friend.

Good luck and sorry to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back