Used car presale inspection - useless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesW

I took a used 2003 Honda Accord that I was interested in purchasing from a private party to a Honda Certified Service Center for a presale inspection. On the way there I noticed the air conditioning did not blow cold even in the slightest. So when I spoke with the service advisor I specifically asked them to look into the problem.

After an hour and a half (I was told it would take 30 minutes) they returned the car to me with a laundry list of small items that needed to be fixed. The largest and most critical were front brakes and the air conditioning needed to be recharged with freon.

I prodded a little deeper on the A/C issue and specifically asked if there was any damage beyond needing a recharge. The advisor responded that there might be a leak requiring a seal to be replaced (which could only be ascertained by providing their recharge service) but beyond that there was no damage.

Great! I bought the car. I took it to them the next day to have the front brakes replaced and to charge the air conditioning.

Then I get a call. The air conditioning unit is not getting power. They are going to have to explore the problem. After a full day and a half they still cant find the problem and recommend I take it to the dealer. But they still charged me $110 for the air condition service, even though it still doesn't work.

The dealer tells me the car has electrical issues that will cost $1,000+ to repair and the air conditioning needs major repair ($1,600). They have no idea how SanTan Import Service Center could overlook something as easy to diagnose as the A/C not getting power. And although that alone would not have indicated the extent to which there were problems it would have certainly raised a giant red flag that more analysis needed to be done to accurately judge whether major repairs were needed.

A call to their GM results in a "oops, sorry we didnt find those problems" but nothing else. Do I have any legitimate grounds for a small claims case against the service center or is it just my bad luck? I feel like I did everything I was suppose to do and still got shafted.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or comments.

Wow.. no response. Does that mean:

a. I wrote to much and no one read it.

b. I havent allowed enough time for the right people to read it.

c. This is a totally unique situation and no one has any idea.

:)

Get two other opinions on the repairs needed. If you do the repairs and try to recover the cost from SanTan, you will undoubtedly be required to verify that it was a necessary expense.

Then ask them to pay, and if they don't, sue them. Who knows if you'll win?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back