Used Car Lemon-No Emissions

Kaymad

Jurisdiction
Georgia
Bought used car from dealership that agreed to fix the brakes when I purchased it. Took it back to dealership for repairs 2 days later where it sat for a week. No repairs. When I picked vehicle up, the person that was supposed to work on it said they weren't a real mechanic and I'd need to take it to a real mechanic. Took it to 2 different reputable mechanics who said the entire under carriage was rusted out, the wires in the door jamb were cut, the muffler was bad and the ignition switch was jammed and would need replacing. By now the check engine light and 4x4 light had come on. Both mechanics said the car was beyond repair and the dealer knew it before selling it to us. Paid $2100 cash for car. Dealership gave us 15 month old emissions inspection where vehicle passed when sold to them, but no current one. They didn't collect tax on the purchase either and have not filed the proper paperwork with the DMV for me to get the vehicle registered and tagged. I've called the dealership twice trying to get my money back. They said the vehicle was sold as is. They agreed to fix the brakes, so I should bring it back up to them to have brake pads replaced or they would give me $70 to take it somewhere else and have the brake pads replaced. They also said it was an honest mistake (right) that they gave me the old emissions inspection report and to bring the vehicle back and they would get the right one. None of my dealings with this used car dealership have been honest to this point so I don't believe they would be with the emissions either. I don't know what to do now. The car was sold with the agreement that the dealership would fix the brakes, but replacing the brake pads on this vehicle would be the equivalent of putting a band aide on an amputation. I want my money back and them to take the piece of crap back they sold me. What are my options?

The simplest solution would be to ask them to give you your money back and take the car back. Try that first. When they refuse, then you look into other options.

If you can, get the estimate from the other car mechanic in writing. In addition, did you have a written agreement for purchasing the vehicle from the used car dealer? If so, are there terms on it other than the dollar amount of the sale? I would have to believe there are terms and they are usually for the benefit of the used car dealer. If the other suggestions don't help, there is also small claims court. You'll first want to make a written demand from the used car dealer sent by a certified method of delivery. If they don't pay, which seems likely they won't, you can file a claim in small claims court.

You may want to go the route @army judge suggests and look up the business on the state Better Business Bureau website. I'm loathe to think of what you might find there. Hopefully you can get this worked out to your favor. Good luck.

Back