1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

used car help

Discussion in 'Car Sales, Dealers, Repairs, Lemon Law' started by Awagner, Jan 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Awagner

Awagner Law Topic Starter New Member

I recently purchased a 1998 Ford windstar. We recieved a 30 day warranty with the vehicle. Within the thirty days we took it three times to get it fixed,with the same problem. Now the warranty is gone and the problems still exists. What should I do????

Awagner:confused:

2. Michael Wechsler

Michael Wechsler Administrator Staff Member

Lemon laws should protect you in this instance. You should have received some information when you bought the car. What state are you in? The law is state specific. The New York State New Car Lemon Law, (GBL Sect. 198) states that if after a reasonable number of attempts a dealer can't repair a new vehicle within the first 18 months or 2 years of delivery, the consumer is entitled to a refund of the purchase price or a replacement vehicle. While the law presumes a reasonable number of attempts is 4 or the vehicle is out of service for 30 days or more within the first 2 years or 18,000 miles, the key word here is "reasonable." 3 times in 30 days for the same problem seems to be far too many attempts.

3. Awagner

Awagner Law Topic Starter New Member

I was wondering if my state of south caroilna has lemon laws that will protect me. Because I have recently taken the car in for the same problem and that makes it the fifth time since I have bought the van. So will you please help me ???
    :confused:

4. Michael Wechsler

Michael Wechsler Administrator Staff Member

From the South Carolina State Department of Consumer Affairs at http://www.state.sc.us/consumer/material/auto/lemonlaw2.htm