Rent, Utilities Use to be Partners

cdhunt18

I Used to be in a Relationship with a person and we both were on the lease and now that the relationship is over we still have six months lease that we have to finish but he refuses to pay any utilities or rent. I want to know what is my best solution for me, so that if have to move out beofre the lease is up my credit isn't messed after the lease is over with.

I Used to be in a Relationship with a person and we both were on the lease and now that the relationship is over we still have six months lease that we have to finish but he refuses to pay any utilities or rent. I want to know what is my best solution for me, so that if have to move out beofre the lease is up my credit isn't messed after the lease is over with.

You can negotiate with your landlord to buy yourself out of the lease.
How much? Don't know, but usually a percentage of the remaining months on your lease.
You say six months, and if the rent is $500 a month, that's $3,000.
In that scenario, you could be let go for about $1,000 to $1,500, maybe more.
Ask your landlord, get it in writing and signed before you turn over the loot.

Since your deadbeat former boypal won't be paying, make sure you negotiate to get YOU off the hook.
You're smart to do this, because the mere filing of an eviction will ruin your credit and destroy your ability to rent decent housing for decades.

Make sure the landlord knows you're negotiating to terminate the lease in its entirety.
That way, the landlord will make the deadbeat aware that he has to be out by a certain date, and if he stays, he'll pay of face eviction.

Whatever you do, don't discuss your negotiations about terminating the lease with the deadbeat.

Also, if he starts destroying stuff, don't argue, but do take pictures or videos daily.
But, do it discretely, don't tip your hand.
Until you're off the hook, both of could be held liable.
That essentially means you, because the deadbeat has nothing, and you're funding him and his stupidity.
Protect yourself, and be very careful.

In the future, never do this with anyone but your husband or wife, and only in a REAL MARRIAGE, and even that has risks.

Good luck.

Back