Use of famous name

Status
Not open for further replies.

goMan

I just finished a book, Title: Charlie's House. It's about a house I lived in during the time I was going through school in LA. The house has nothing to do with the one time owner, Charlie Chaplin, but I use his ghost as a humorous vehicle throughout the book.

Is there any legal problem using his name?

The book is about the people that lived there and the crazy things that went on during my stay.

The house no longer exists. It was torn down sometime during the 60s. While living there, the owner often told stories about the house that Chaplin owned. I really think it was just the landlord's imagination at work. Chaplin may have lived in the house at one time while building his permanent residence.

I can't give you any legal opinion without a real consultation but I don't forsee a problem, especially since you're discussing factual matters. Additionally, it doesn't provide an issue of "likelihood of confusion" as to whether the origin of a product or service is from the markholder. I can't say that a mark holder won't object but it doesn't mean they have even the semblance of a case. Sounds like an interesting book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back