Criminal Law US Work Visa Application with Canadian Criminal Record

Status
Not open for further replies.

bartcat1

I have an offer of employment for a position in the US for a Canada based company that is willing to sponsor me via a TN/L1/H1 visa process (all good so far). The issue is, I have a Canadian criminal record that has 3 events. I am now 42 yrs old, event 1 was fraudulent use of credit card (18 yrs old at the time), disposition was absolute discharge. Event 2 and 3 were both simple assault (bar fights from my mindless days), both settled with fines ($400 in $250, both in 1988 when I was 25 yrs old (17 yrs ago). I obviously need to disclose to my potential employer my criminal record (they will find out as part of sponsoring the visa application, whichever form it takes - TN/L1/H1), but my question is, what is the probability that I can argue or explain away these old/minor/no time served charges to the US organization that needs to approve my work permit? Approx. 10 years ago I was being pulled over by US customs every time I crossed to explain my record and then they would let me in. I asked what I could do to stop this every time I crossed (approx. 10 visits/yr), and they asked me to get RCMP fingerprints (form C216-c) and a copy of all of my dispositions for my offences, which I did, and now for the last 15 years I have not been stopped when they scan my passport (again at least 10x/yr). Will this help me get my work visa. Any help or direction here would be appreciated, time is short, thanks.

P.S. My real question would be what is the potential (%), channce I can get a work visa based on the info above. Others must have been in the same boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back