K Visa US citizen marrying German Citizen in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

naijarus

Hello,

I looked in the German forum and not all seem to apply, although very useful.

My question is this... I am a US citizen and my girlfriend is a German citizen living in the US under a J1 status exchange program, but plans to obtain F1 (student visa). What would be the right course to take if we should get married here is the US? What would be the right course if we get married in Germany? Ultimately, which is easier for her to be able to stay in the US and what would be the process I should take?

All comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

As long as she is in the U.S. in a valid status (that is with a valid visa and I-94) you marry and then simply file a petition for alien relative and an application for adjustment of status at the same time. She then can stay in the country until an immigrant visa will be issued.

It does not really matter where you will get married. What matters is what status she has at the time she and you will apply for her green card. So if you marry in Germany and she still has a valid J-1 or a F-1 visa she can simply return under that visa to the U.S. and then file all the paperwork here.

Here you can read the details: http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/Appproc.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back