Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft UPDATE: after court date

Status
Not open for further replies.

atnyc

Hi, this is for those of you who would want to know what to expect on the court date. This is in Brooklyn, NY by the way.

I was caught shoplifting a month ago and was given the Desk Appearance Ticket. I had my court date today. The whole process took less than two hours. I was called to speak to a legal aid attorney after handing in my DAT. He discussed the case with me and told me that he would try to get me the ACD (Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal), and I would have to attend a prevention program afterward. However, I've already completed the NASP program recommended by admin at this forum. I showed him the completion proof from NASP. But since this is not the usual program the court uses, he said he would have to ask the judge when we stand before him.

I didn't need to plead anything when I saw the judge, my legal aid (public defender) was with me the whole time, by the way. He also told the judge about my NASP program, and the judge dismissed my case right away. At the end, he said the case was sealed. My attorney told me that the case was sealed right away instead of having to wait six months (hence the adjournment in ACD?).

Questions to admin: Does that mean I was given the ACD or no? From what the attorney said, the case was already dismissed and sealed today. But he was so busy, I didn't want to bother him with all the questions. I was not told about giving any court fine neither. I will call the court's clerk office tomorrow to follow up on the status of the case to confirm all minor details.

Thank you once again for your help, guys! I still remember how helpless I was after the whole incident. Also, thank you for recommending NASP. I believe having completed the prevention program BEFORE going to court helped my case a lot, aside from the fact that I go to school outside of the city.

I am glad we could help. You can help us as well post something in our testimonial section. We use posts there to help promote site. Far as your case goes it sounds like you got ACD but you didnt have to do the 6 mos of good behavior, classes etc. It seems taking the NASP course was looked upson kindly by Judge as I believe I told you. Call the clerk they are best people to tell you status of your case.

So I spoke to the clerk over the phone and she confirmed that the case was dismissed and sealed right away without waiting 6 months. She also said that because the case was dismissed I do not have to pay any court fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back