Unruly neighbors living illegally?

NelliClaire

Jurisdiction
California
I'm going to include the obligatory I'm so sorry if this doesn't belong here up front just in case.

I live in a government owned apartment complex and our across the hall neighbors are just the worst. They have been served their 90-day eviction notice, it was up August 19th, and yet they're still here. For a while they (our apartment managers) were telling us it was in the lawyers' hands, but now they said something about having to start the whole case over, I have no idea. The property managers have a very well documented case against them, most of it provided by myself and my two roommates as we are directly across the hall and see most of what goes on.

What we Can prove:
-They smoke marijuana with minors present, including a two year old. It's CA so weed is legal, but not in our building and I'm not sure what the rules are about smoking it in an enclosed space with children. I know you can't smoke cigarettes in a car with minors so I'd assume it was the same or similar .
-More people live there than are on the lease. Not a huge deal, but they are on Section 8 so it isn't allowed .
-They neglect their dog to the point of abuse. I've called Animal Control with multiple complaints, I work in animal care and I know what an abused dog looks like .
-The 12yr old boy has shouted at and called my gay roommate a fag on several occasions
-The children rarely if ever go to school. We've called CPS for this and other reasons.
-We've filed various noise complaints with the sheriff for music, fighting and shouting, and being otherwise obnoxious both in the apartment and outside where the whole complex can hear.
-Various other things such as destroying property and doing things that aren't allowed per the management and their lease agreement.

What we Cannot prove
-They slashed my roommates tires and keyed my car. We don't have any cameras on the property so this can't be proven.
-They sell drugs out of the house. This is a rumor, but all the signs are there (no one has a job, random people knocking on their door at all hours, etc.)
-There are also rumors they they let the two young boys between the ages of 12 and 15 smoke marijuana and I've seen the 17yr old daughter and her boyfriend smoking cigarettes many times, they've even tried to bum them off of me.
-A felon has been and stayed several days in their apartment. Another no-no for S8 but once again, no way to prove it.
-This one is just a theory of mine but I think worth noting, I can't imagine they've paid any kind of rent since their eviction notice went up.
-A new girl has, since the eviction notice, moved in with her very young (maybe 3-4yr old) daughter, and mom definitely has that Methy vibe about her.

There's so much more but it's escaping my mind at the moment. I just feel sorry for the young boys and the toddler and the dog. I imbibe every now and then but it's super annoying to walk to my apartment and smell weed. Sometimes it's so strong it seeps in and I can smell it in my apartment. Plus all the strangers, I'm afraid to take my dog out after dark which is hard in the winter. I'm a 22yr old girl and I've been approached three times by strange men taking my dog out or coming home from work late at night. It's terrifying. I double and triple check to make sure my car is locked and if I have anything important in there then it's out of sight, but it's too late for my fresh paint job.

I'm just frustrated and annoyed and I'm wondering what I can do. Like I said we've made reports to all available authorities but there has to be more. I don't want to continue to be afraid to exist in my own apartment building. Does anyone have any advice? Or any idea why it's taking so long to get rid of them?

Thanks in advance

Why?

Evictions are rarely easy.

Evictions often take three, sometimes six months.

The Supreme sang about it, you can't hurry love.

I'll paraphrase it, justice dislikes being hurried along.

Justice is akin to pouring molasses out of a jar on a subzero afternoon.

Finally you live in California.

I don't think I need to say more.

You have done what you can.

You say you have notified social services but you did not indicate if they ever took action.
Although you can't prove anything you might also share your information with local law enforcement. They might be interested enough to monitor and catch people going to or from the apartment for possible drug arrests.

Rather than waiting for the neighbor to be evicted you could look into your own options to move elsewhere. Otherwise, keep reporting and try to be patient.

Back