Unreasonable Medical Biller, Any Recourse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ook_

A chiropractor presented me with an outstanding invoice 10 months after the date of service, 7 months after I stopped seeing her, and 5 months after my PIP insurance had expired. She wants to collect $232; more than my PIP insurance paid for the same procedure on several prior occasions.

PIP claims they did not pay because she billed the procedure incorrectly and say she should simply have re-billed before the PIP was exhausted. However, she never bothered to follow up and bill correctly in a timely manner. If she had billed my insurance before late March 2009 (when my insurance was exhausted and expired), she would have been paid.

Why do I have to pay for her mistake? I have exchanged several letters back and forth with the chiropractor over 3 months, contacted to BBB without resolution, informed the Attorney General, who claims that they cannot assist with billing issues. I have now addressed the Chiropractic Board. Is there any other legal remedy to her irresponsible billing practice and for expecting me to pay more than my insurance would? What entity is concerned regulates this practice? She has now contacted collections. Thank you.

Chiropractor's problem... don't sweat it.
The chiropractor has a dispute with the insurance company, not with you.
Don't pay it. Politely inform the chiropractor that you were insured at the time of service and that she will have to work out the payment with the insurance company.

Unless you are taken to court over the issue there is nothing for you to do. If you do end up in court, I can't imagine a judge will make you pay for the chiropractor's error.

Nothing worse than a quackopractor with an ego who won't write off a measly $232

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back