Unlawful Eviction?

T

TX Tenant

Jurisdiction
Texas
I am under my 5th month of a 12 month lease and just before moving in, Landlord was remodeling the house. He was aware that all repairs were not completed as was I. Now, he agreed to continue repairs as I was still habitting the property; however, my arep of most concern was the lack of a gas line for the stove. Landlord has provided stove but refuses to have the gas line installed as well as finish repairs to the roof where ifit rains, water will leak in constan steady strean in the master bedroom. Landlord was made aware of the issues several times and still has not made any repairs, major or minor including a broken sink. Part of the house has been sinking as it is not laid on a foundation but on heavy cinder blocks. Landlord has also been refusing to communicate verbally to discuss any repairs tha' are still needed. Do I have legal grounds to withhold rent or even break the lease without being responsible for all remaining rent due under the lease?

THOROUGHLY and CAREFULLY study the TX landlord tenant statutes for your rights and obligations:

2015 Texas Statutes :: PROPERTY CODE :: TITLE 8 - LANDLORD AND TENANT :: CHAPTER 92 - RESIDENTIAL TENANCIES

Study them like you studied for a test in school. Some of your questions may be answered and, with that foundation, come back to this thread for further discussion.

Meantime, call the city building department and report all of what's happening. He may be doing this without a permit. There may be code violations. The city may shut him down and give you an easy out.

But study the statutes anyway.

THOROUGHLY and CAREFULLY study the TX landlord tenant statutes for your rights and obligations:

2015 Texas Statutes :: PROPERTY CODE :: TITLE 8 - LANDLORD AND TENANT :: CHAPTER 92 - RESIDENTIAL TENANCIES

Study them like you studied for a test in school. Some of your questions may be answered and, with that foundation, come back to this thread for further discussion.

Meantime, call the city building department and report all of what's happening. He may be doing this without a permit. There may be code violations. The city may shut him down and give you an easy out.

But study the statutes anyway.
Thanks, I've been studying TX rental laws thoroughly for the past week and I can't find if a working gas line is considered an essential service.

Thanks, I've been studying TX rental laws thoroughly for the past week and I can't find if a working gas line is considered an essential service.

Simply ask your city or county building inspectors.

Some Texas cities and counties have ordinances addressing cooking facilities.

Read this:
Texas Tenant Advisor
Generally it's RENTER beware, make sure all is square before you sign.
In Austin, yeah they're frigging weird, this article explains what a tenant should receive:
Austin Tenants' Council/Repairs: The Tenant's Right and the Landlord's Duty
Advice from our former AG, current Governor, and agencies that can help tenants:
https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/agency/weeklyag/2009/0809renter_rights.pdf
As I originally suggested, contact your local code enforcement, or building inspector.
Information for San Benito City Government:
Building Regulations & Inspection | San Benito, TX - Official Website

thanks Army Judge, I'll go over the links you've sent. As it is, Landlord said he was going to contact the local health department regarding my dogs and he's trying to incur a pet deposit after the lease was signed for pets are acknowledged and did not require a pet deposit.

Back