Unknown web cam in emergency room

Gina70

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
Hi,

My daughter ,an adult she is 24 at the time, went to the local emergency room at the Winchester Hospital. She was taken to a room and asked to undress which she did. While waiting for the doctor to come she was looking around an noticed a web cam crudely duct taped to the wall. Unsure of what it was she took a picture and once she came home she showed me. I called the hospital that same night and they said yes this is a web cam and due to covid and closing the doors we use this to monitor patients breathing. My daughter was there due to a car accident and had no covid signs and this web cam is not in all the rooms as well as the hospital was pretty empty this night. We do not know who was watch the camera , what if any pictures were taken and what happened to them if they were. We asking what rights we have as she should have told and offered another room.

Right now you don't know that the camera was even used during her visit. The hospital might only activate it when a patient that may have breathing problems is in the room. A hospital employee using the camera inappropriately to spy on nude patients may be prosecuted for that.

My daughter ,an adult she is 24 at the time, went to the local emergency room. . . . While waiting for the doctor to come she was looking around an noticed a web cam crudely duct taped to the wall. Unsure of what it was she took a picture and once she came home she showed me. I called the hospital that same night

Out of curiosity, why didn't your adult daughter deal with this herself at the time? Why did she have to run home to mommy or daddy to do it?

they said yes this is a web cam and due to covid and closing the doors we use this to monitor patients breathing.

The term "web cam" refers to a camera whose output is streamed on the internet. I doubt very much that the output of this camera was streamed on the internet.

We asking what rights we have

While you have lots of rights (as does every person), there is no "we" here. This situation has nothing to do with you.

Your daughter also has lots of rights, and it would serve no useful purpose to try and compile a list.

As for taking further action, what result does your daughter hope to achieve?

The term "web cam" refers to a camera whose output is streamed on the internet. I doubt very much that the output of this camera was streamed on the internet.
That is not quite correct. A "web cam" (actually, a "webcam") refers to a camera whose output is capable of being streamed on a network. That network doesn't have to be the internet. For example, my home webcam is used solely within my home network for monitoring my 3D printer. It is not intended to transmit to, nor be accessible from, the internet.

As was mentioned above, it's entirely possible that the webcam in the hospital is used solely on their internal network for monitoring the room, just as they described.

Back