Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Unknowingly pawned stolen phone

• Thread Starter Ivebnhadhelpmeplz
  • Start date
I

Ivebnhadhelpmeplz

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
So my nephew told me he needed my help pawning his broken phone to get money for a new one. So I drove him to Walmart where he hooked the phone up to the kiosk where they check the phone and then pay you for the phone based on condition, but you need an ID and he didn't have one. I didn't think my nephew would do this to me, but the phone turned out to be stolen and two investigators came to my house today wanting to talk to me. Thankfully I was at school and my husband answered the door, but they claim that they didn't have warrants for my arrest and only wanted to talk and they wanted me to help them and that it had to be in person. We can't afford a lawyer or anything extra! Help!!

So my nephew told me he needed my help pawning his broken phone to get money for a new one. So I drove him to Walmart where he hooked the phone up to the kiosk where they check the phone and then pay you for the phone based on condition, but you need an ID and he didn't have one. I didn't think my nephew would do this to me, but the phone turned out to be stolen and two investigators came to my house today wanting to talk to me. Thankfully I was at school and my husband answered the door, but they claim that they didn't have warrants for my arrest and only wanted to talk and they wanted me to help them and that it had to be in person. We can't afford a lawyer or anything extra! Help!!

This is that one in a million thing where you SHOULD meet with the officers and learn what they wish to know.

You weren't profiting in this scheme.
You were simply an uninformed dupe used by your nephew.

If that is how this all went down, simply tell the truth.

The kid will probably lie, but the investigation will support your accurate, honest account of this sordid event.

You broke no laws. so far.

If you stonewall, or appear to have amnesia, it will become a legal issue for you.

I agree. If you honestly had no knowledge of the theft then you have committed no crime. However, you are going to have to shin the light on your nephew to get it off of you.

The obvious question they will have is why you did this rather than a parent. It was not suspicious to you?

Back