Unknowingly bought used car that had engine replaced, voiding warranty

Usedcarbuyer

Jurisdiction
Virginia
I bought a car from a used car dealership less than a month ago. It is a 2016, had less than 7,000 miles, and it came with the manufacturer's warranty: powertrain 5 years or 60,000 miles. Had to take it into a dealership for repair. They discovered the engine had been swapped from a 2013 model, which was done poorly since it caused the damage for which it needed repair. They didn't even know it was an older engine until they ran the engine serial number. So, the dealership would not do the repair under warranty since it is not the same engine that is under warranty. Carfax showed nothing about that; clean title, no accidents, no total loss/salvage, etc. The dealership I bought it from claims they knew nothing about it. I would not have bought that car if I knew it had an older engine and that the warranty would have been useless. The dealership I bought it from advertised the car as having the manufacturer's powertrain warranty. Who knows who replaced the engine or why, or what problems this could lead to in the future. I asked the dealership I bought it from if they would do the repair and provide me with a similar warranty. They said they have talk to some people and get back to me. If they say no, do I have any legal options?

Most used cars are sold as is with no promise of any particular condition. It is quite possible that the dealership did not know about the engine swap. If they did know, they wouldn't be legally obligated to disclose that information unless there is some state law where you are. If they are an ethical dealership they may allow you to back of out this sale. At minimum you can cancel the warranty policy and receive a full refund(it may be applied to your bank loan.). Check your paperwork for an "as is" disclosure. Read it very carefully. Wait and see what they offer to do to resolve the matter, if you don't like what you hear talk to an attorney.

Back