University Student Rights: Dropping a class

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrollphaser

I am wondering if my Student Right I. B.-2. of Executive Memorandum 08-40 was violated this morning. I can't post link, but it says:

By the end of the first week of their initial attendance, students have the right to receive a course syllabus from faculty members containing clearly written objectives which are consistent with the nature of the course. Students should be informed by the instructor about the level of achievement which is expected for each letter grade.

(Executive Memorandum 08-40, Grading Policy).​

By the end of the first week of one of my classes, I received a syllabus only outlining a mid-term (35% of grade) exam and a final exam (65% of grade). This is the fifth week of class, and our instructor just told us he has deducted 10% from our final grade for each day we have missed.

I've missed two days (20% of grade) and he is a notoriously harsh grader (ratemyprofessor.com), so I have no chance of passing the class. The deadline to drop or withdraw was yesterday, so now I would need a compelling reason and written permission from the counselor, instructor, and dean.

I know I should attend class, but I'm not sure I deserve to fail for missing two days. From a legal standpoint, would his grading modification be considered a compelling reason for dropping or withdrawing from the class? I was planing to cite that on my request form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back