University covers up gender discrimination

mirandallen

Jurisdiction
California
I need to know if this could be a case or just to let it go.

In one of my group counseling classes (I am a Master's in Counseling student) there was a student who verbally attacked me. They attacked me for my race, gender identity, and LGBT population in general. The student stated that "white people are the problem in this cohort" and "cannot handle being uncomfortable" and would glance at me numerous times. After that, he stated my transgender identity "did not count as oppression." Later on, he mentioned he "knows what it's like to be in the LGBT community" because he has "friends in there who let me call them fucking faggots".

I spoke to the university about this attack and their response was to move me from that group and move on. Later on, they claimed this was a "cohort issue" and even stated it was between my attacker and a student who defended me. They have yet to do anything and only a few days ago linked me up with the Title IX Coordinator. They weren't as helpful as I thought. They did ask about my well-being, but only offered me to leave the class or him.

I need help.

Why do you believe it is the school's responsibility to make everyone play nicely in the sandbox together?

If they moved you out of the group then you don't have to face that person right? You can't get someone in trouble for using their right to free speech even if they're an ignorant bigot. Some people just won't change. No matter what.

I'm sure this isn't the first time you've had someone attack you for the things you've mentioned. Did you go to the school you were in or try to get them in trouble? Try to resolve it yourself and if you can't, let it go.

Talk to the Title IX Coordinator. That is the proper place to address this. The biggest issue is that this was in a class, where presumably race, gender identity, and oppression were being discussed and debated. One can't do that and not challenge ideas including mentioning stereotypes and personal beliefs. That goes double given your degree program. Academic freedom is a highly guarded principle and it does protect much of what happens in the classroom setting, and for good reason. If someone expressing a a general opinion, which is widely held, correct or not, in a forum designed to discuss those matters feels like a personal attack to you, perhaps counseling is not a field where you will be happy. I don't know your end goal, but in counseling, one is guaranteed to encounter those with contrary beliefs, and especially unpopular and controversial beliefs.

Back