Ungrateful Renter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walton

In August of 2013, we were approached by a lady who wanted to rent a house we had in her vicinity. She seemed like she really needed a place to live, she had a job, and she was very excited about having her own place. Well in the last year we have only received three payments on time. When she did not make her June or July payment, she said she had been injured on the job and she would catch up because she was receiving a settlement from her place of employment. Being the sentimental dummies we are, we waited for this.

Last week she called and said for us to pick up our rent on Saturday. We went down to find she had moved, owing three months rent, $1000 electrical bill, $400 gas bill, trash everywhere, front storm door glass busted. We rented the house fully furnished. In this house we had some things that had been left to us by a deceased relative. She stole a large rooster collection that was very old, a cabinet full of various what nots left by our deceased love one, a dinette set is missing, and a large picture given to us by our son. This was our first renter and it is really making us hesitant to go this way again. Can you give me advice on what course of action I have for the stolen property and the rent and utility bills?

You can report any STOLEN items to the local police.
The unpaid rent, I'd forget about that. She's a lying, broke, deadbeat. Even if you sue and prevail, she has nothing with which to pay you. She has no job, not even a minimum wage job. You'll never get a dime out of her.

If that sucks, sue for the rent in small claims.

The police can investigate her thievery, and eventually (if what you report is true), she'll end up in jail.

Last edited:
Army Judge is right. I was in a similar situation with a property I rented. Some people are just lying deadbeats. If you do decide to rent again, first become very familiar with your areas eviction laws and procedures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back