Unfairly terminated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valika

I worked at a Catholic School as the school secretary for the past 3 years. I was recently terminated. The first two years there was a different principal. I was given raises and praised for a great job. Than came the new principal this past year. She started by taking work away from me, telling teachers and parents that I didn't do my job. I answered the phone wrong. I was basically set up for failure. This principal had someone she wanted to hire for the job so she had to get rid of me. I did not have a contract. I have been told that it is hard to sue because I did not have one. Before all this the Pastor of the church told me I had a job for the next 20 years. I not only lost my job but I lost my church where my children and myself had been going for 16 years. I volunteered at the church and the CCD program for the past 7 years. I have documented alot of the goings on for the past year. I have dates and what happened on those dates. I would like to know if I have a case against the Archdiocese of N.Y.:mad:

NY (like 48 other states) is an at-will state, meaning that unless you have a contract for a specific term of employment you can be terminated for any reason that is not specifically prohibited by law. Since you don't have a contract you are pretty much out of luck unless you can get an attorney to successfully claim that the pastor's remarks constitute a binding and enforceable contract for 20 years employment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back