unfair eviction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cliffcw

My landlord wants to evicte me and my wife because the water bill is to high. Can we sue fore unlawfull eviction. And if you are wandering we are not late with the rent.

it depends on your local laws, but it sounds pretty unlikely to me that this would be grounds for eviction out of the blue. Normally a landlord would terminate the lease first, and then evict if you don't leave voluntarily. May be that is what you meant.

You should try to negotiate with the landlord. Water bills are relatively low compared to all other costs nowadays, I wonder why a landlord would make a fuss about that. If your bill really is a lot higher than of comparable tenants, may be an adjustment of the rent would be reasonable.

Already offerd to pay half of the extra. He refused.The bill is only 40 dollers over the normal bill and two things happened in the time frame. One he had a water break in the basment over this past winter do to freezing pipes. So we had let the water run a few nights dureing the cold spell and so he says that it was our the bill went up. Also we already are moveing but the place isn't ready yet. We told him we would be out by the end of April but he wants us out now. Also the water bill is for the whole building. We think that he is upset with us because we were moveing out.

probably. Well, to get an eviction he has to get a court order. If these are the facts he can show, I don't see any judge issuing such an order. Of course, one needs to know the laws and the details of this case, but it sounds very much like bullying to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back