Underage, with a diploma, and an unjust situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylaRynn

Hi,
I am seventeen, and have graduated early. The trouble is, I graduated early to begin attending college full time at the local community college (with full intent to transfer to a nearby college after obtaining my Associate of Arts degree). However my mother has been a thorn in my side regarding college. Several ground rules have been laid out, and I feel that they violate my rights as a minor, (yes I know they are limited but still exist). Here are a few of the rules she has set out.

1.I must obtain either a full time or two part time jobs.
2.I must show my mother the paycheck and work schedule for said job(s).
3.I must pay $300 per month for the two months I am not in school (February and March ), totaling $600.
I have the first two paychecks to total the first $300 and one paycheck to pay the second $300.
4.If I do not attend college full time, I must continue to pay rent.
5.I must walk at my high school graduation ceremony.
6.I may not fail classes at college, or else I must discontinue attendance until I am 18.
7.The consequence for failing to comply is instantaneous phone and house grounding, until I either comply or turn eighteen.

I know most of these sound not unreasonable, but failure to get a job before the end of the month will result in no college now, as will simply failing a class. Furthermore, she will not allow me to choose the place in which I pay rent, I must continue to live in this house until I am eighteen, although I have two homes readily available.
I do have a job, though it would be considered very meager earnings. Please make no mistake, I love my mother, but this I believe is the straw to break the camel's back.

Please help,
TylaRynn from Oregon

Until you are 18, you are under the care and control of your mother. Whatever I personally might think of your mother's restrictions, none of them violate any laws or any of your guaranteed rights.

When you are 18, you can go where you like and live where you want. Until then, this is something you will have to work out with your mother - the law is not going to force her to change any of her restrictions.

I understand that, truly. However I am also concerned about the feud between my mother and my significant other. He does know of certain trespasses made by my mother and father, and wants me to bring these violations to light, in hopes of freeing myself, so to speak. I am not sure whether or not to allow this, because no matter how warped my parents are, no matter how much they have damaged my sisters and I, they are my parents. He however claims that justification for molestation, physical and mental abuse is something I should do not only for myself but for my sisters.
So should I just let the whole thing go, and keep my head down and my tail covered until august? I am not sure, I would feel like I am obstructing a path for my parents, and feel guilty about abandoning my family once again.

Not knowing anything about the situation you refer to, I can't comment.

I do know that it is unlikely that any kind of report to the authorities is going to provide you with the desired result.

Thats pretty much what I thought, I think he is trying too hard as we have both been involved in loads of emotional distress lately. ( We recently just lost our first child). Thank you so much for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back