Under investigation

Elaine2017

Jurisdiction
Georgia
My boss is under investigation for sexual harassment.

My coworkers believe this will become very ugly once he finds out. Can we record him and it be legal in court in case something happens to us.

He has been with the company for 20+ years and his wife is someone very important in our community. We have been scared to say anything and someone finally came forward about it all.

Can we record him and it be legal in court in case something happens to us.

Yes.

An individual can record oral conversations where either the person is a party to the conversation or at least one of the participants has consented to the recording. Ga. Code Ann. § 16-11-66(a).

2016 Georgia Code :: Title 16 - Crimes and Offenses :: Chapter 11 - Offenses Against Public Order and Safety :: Article 3 - Invasions of Privacy :: Part 1 - Wiretapping, Eavesdropping, Surveillance, and Related Offenses :: § 16-11-66. Interception of wire, oral, or electronic communication by party thereto; consent requirements for recording and divulging conversations to which child under 18 years is a party; parental exception

Just be careful. Nothing prevents him from firing you if he catches you recording him.

Although, considering the situation, you should probably be seeking employment elsewhere. Preferably before you end up competing with fellow employees in the job market.

Keep in mind...... If recording, At least ONE person needs to know it's being recorded. If not, its a federal wiretapping issue. Felony... BIG TIME... You can record yourself and many people at the same time. You can record yourself and one person... You CAN'T leave the recorder in a room recording others talking without ONE person knowing.

Our bosses boss knows what's going on and they said we don't have anything to worry about with our jobs.

My coworkers recorded his conversation the other day and now our boss is in attack mode on me. Our boss sexually harasses the other employees (they are push overs) but not me.

Our boss will ask questions if we have ever messed with a black man and I snapped back and said if we have or not it's none of your business. Our boss has slapped other employees butts. I don't think our boss likes me because I stand up for myself. I do a great job at work and our boss says I do but when it comes down to the comments I don't deal with it.

Where there's smoke, there soon will be fire.

Criminals rarely operate alone.

Sexual deviants operate in packs, often one will be visible, while others receive pleasure from the acts of the most visible deviant.

Our boss makes threats about being close with the superiors so someone finally said something and it is not true because no one has made a call about it

Elaine, let me ask you a couple of questions. This sounds serious and I want to be sure you're covering all your bases.

When you say he is "under investigation", what do you mean? Who is investigating him?

HR works for the bosses. If the "accused" boss is a moneymaker for the company, the issue may end up swept under the rug and the "accuser" may find herself getting the short end of the stick.

I wasnt the one that said anything. It was a few others that did, the ones that were sexually harassed not me. I think when it comes out I will be the one that is blamed, but when they asked me if my boss did it to me I explained I don't allow anyone to make comments or touch me. I only explained he was a bully and makes it a hostile work environment

Jack, will you please, just once, stop slandering my entire profession? Your statements are utterly inaccurate and misleading.

Elaine, at least for now, I would not recommend making any recordings. If there was not already a company investigation going on, I might say otherwise, but it's not usually a wise idea to be conducting your own investigation when there is a company investigation going on.

Our boss is trying to nitpick me to get me fired. They have it recorded of what our boss is doing. Tomorrow our boss plans to start a mission to have me fired. HR said our boss is under investigation to not worry about it our boss can't fire anyone at this time but our boss has no knowledge of what is going on. Multiple clients have came forward about other actions and then the my coworkers have came forward about the sexual harassment. What leg do I have to stand on if I am written up tomorrow for no valid reason.

What leg do I have to stand on if I am written up tomorrow for no valid reason.

I suggest you go with the flow.

If you're written up by anyone for any reason, don't argue, don't protest, DO be silent, FAKE being respectful IF NECESSARY, listen carefully, stay calm, stay composed, and when you have been excused, walk silently away.

Don't charge directly to HR, or to other employees and discuss what happened.

Do go to a quiet, secure place when you can, contact or call your HR Rep.

Don't reveal what you need to talk about, ask if she/he can arrange to meet with you about a very important matter.

Bottom line, you can't prevent the crazy little guy in North Korea from firing a nuke or two.
You can only react to the actions of others, but always react with dignity, reflective of the professional you are.

It sounds as if HR knows exactly what your boss is like and is not going to hold you responsible for anything your boss does. Let's not worry about your legal rights until you find out what actually happens and how HR handles it. Despite AJ's customary slander, most HR departments are able to distinguish right from wrong and are not going to throw you under the bus to save your boss. If he's already under investigation, they know there's a problem with him. If they were going to going to sweep everything under the rug the way AJ claims, they wouldn't be doing an investigation in the first place.

Back