Under 16 over 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkdank

I did my research but i am still confused about a few details regarding marriage eligibility in the state of Florida. So if i am under the age of eighteen i need parental consent unless i am pregnant.

what if i have the permission of my mother who is divorced from my father. he has custody but he is in jail and i have a legal power of attorney whom i live with with my mothers and fathers permission. do i still need my fathers permission?

they say that if you are pregnant (under 18) and have a legal statement from a licensed physician proving the pregnancy you can get married to the father. does it matter how much over 18 he is? can he still get in trouble for "knocking up" an underage girl?

extremely confused

Where are you getting your insane info? Getting knocked up is not free pass to marriage! You still need parental consent and either parent may attempt to block the marriage. Getting pregnant also places the adult in an ugly position that could land him in prison and face lifetime registration as sex offender.

The laws have been changing. There remains only one state where a pregnant minor can marry without parental consent; that state is not Florida, and even in that state she still needs permission of the court.

And yes, the Florida laws in this area are among the strictest, if not THE strictest in the US. You're darned tootin' he can still get in trouble for "knocking up" an underage girl. Even if he marries you after the fact. Marriage does not suddenly make his illegal actions retroactively legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back