Unclaimed Golf Cart

Status
Not open for further replies.

2006nkm

Someone has left a golf cart on my property for the past 5 days. The keys are in the cart and it has not been claimed or taken by anyone. There is no contact information anywhere on the cart. Who is the owner of the cart now? Is it legally my property, or is it still the unknown owner's property? We have asked around our entire neighborhood and no one claimed it. What should I do?

Hmm. You might be able to charge storage fees. I clean out a lot of bank owned properties and the law for those is 30 days for abandoned property, so maybe if it sits that long you can sell it.

In many states you have to file a complaint declaring that you found that on your property. File a police report and express intent to own it if it is not collected by the rightful owner. The wait time in many states is 30 days. Some states or counties would not let you keep it until so many processes………….Just talk to the cops and they would guide you on how to proceed when you call to report the incident. Only the police report makes the system count the number of days abandoned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back