unauthorized property

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trackstr

I purchased a home, and then found out that the former owner let her friend leave storage in the garage. I need to know how to get him and his now trailer off my property. He was given a notice of 14 days, I then extened for three more, and after getting there 4 days later he had not moved anything. I then called cops and told him that I want his stuff gone at 6pm. Cop agreed. One week later he still has not moved it. How do I go about owning all of this. I understand that once the prev. owner sold me the prop. all deal should have been off with her friend. This is in the st. of Wa.

Trackstr said:
I purchased a home, and then found out that the former owner let her friend leave storage in the garage. I need to know how to get him and his now trailer off my property. He was given a notice of 14 days, I then extened for three more, and after getting there 4 days later he had not moved anything. I then called cops and told him that I want his stuff gone at 6pm. Cop agreed. One week later he still has not moved it. How do I go about owning all of this. I understand that once the prev. owner sold me the prop. all deal should have been off with her friend. This is in the st. of Wa.

First of all, this does not concern a landlord-tenant issue. This is an issue of bailment, leaving property in someone else's care. Note, you can also obtain money from the original seller for leaving you with this mess as well and you may want to tie him/her into the attempts to settle this matter.

I don't know the law in WA specifically. Is this a high ticket item? Did you provide written notice via a certified method? I would send one more notice in writing and sent via certified mail providing for 5 days to remove the items or you will sell them. You should also put in there a reasonable storage fee for the item which the owner is responsible for and that you will also deduct reasonable costs and expenses for having to dispose of this item yourself. This person would likely have little to stand on should he/she come to small claims court and try to scream foul. Nobody likes to deal with these situations and unless there is a very clear law to the contrary, a magistrate will usually find a way for the right outcome -- or at least this is what I have found. I'd find it hard to believe that such a method stated above wasn't prudent under the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back