Unauthorized Entry to Apartment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beck

I live in Oregon. I am a person that values their privacy. My apartment management team has recently made me feel that they do not. Last Friday I found a repair notice within my apartment after they entered, without notice, to make a repair of a drip under a sink to the wrong apartment. I called them and was told that they had mistakenly gone to the wrong apartment, but I was lucky because I did not have to worry about my sink leaking. I told them that I found that unacceptable and I asked they at that time to make sure they had verbal authorization from myself before entering in the future.

Monday morning I received a notice taped to my front door stating that they were having a company come in to install Fios and that they would need access to my apartment Wednesday and Thursday. I called them and stated that I was not able to be at home and they should not enter when I was not there. I stated that it needed to be rescheduled for Friday or the following week. I was told that I did not have the right to deny them entry and that in my lease it stated that they would give 48 hours notice and they had. I was then told that if I did not allow them to install the Fios the next tenant would have to pay $600 for it. I stated that the date of entry just needed to be changed and that they were not authorized to enter my apartment on Wednesday, the date listed. They refused and stated that it did not matter that I had told them not to enter. They entered my apartment while I was gone. While there they tracked mud into my carpet and obviously made themselves at home, using my restroom and looking at my catalogs.

My lease is not up for 6 months and it is $2000 to break my lease. How can I get out of lease without paying the $2000, or is that even an option? I do not wish to live there when they do not respect my privacy.

Attached are the laws in Oregon regarding entry into your rental by landlord/management/workers hired by management:

http://www.osbar.org/public/legalinfo/1258_TenantPrivacy.htm

They must give you at least 24 hours notice (unless this is for an emergency repair). Pay particular attention to what the article states can happen if you refuse access after they've provided reasonable notice.

The end of the article I attached discusses some options a tenant has. This does not include being able to break their lease without the fear of a financial penalty.

Your best bet is to continue living there until the lease naturally expires, don't renew it and find another place to rent.

Gail

I would totally agree with Gail and I would go a little further. If you are going to demand that people not come into your place with proper notice you are going to need to buy a house. Otherwise, you are bound to the lease of someone else's property. You can't deny them entry, you can't tell them you have to be there when they come in, and you can't tell them what they can and can't install. Those are privileges of ownership. If you change apartments, you will just get more of the same. They didn't do anything wrong. Good luck.

Thanks Gail for the advice. I'm going to talk to the management company and just ask them if I can break lease. Doesn't hurt to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back