UK Lawyer how to find out reputation??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hilsite

I have been contacted by a particular woman I'll call Betty. She wrote me informing me of her intentions to name me as the recipient of her will. She stated she did not want her family to get ahold of the monies left to her by her late husband of 24 years, she did not trust them to use it for good purposes. She asked me to do a few specific gestures of kindness in a number of different areas, all regarding widows in need, motherless children, abused women, to name a few. She also stated that she, was in fact, in the hospital as she was writing, and was scheduled for major surgery, which was afraid she would not come out of it.
She stated she had informed,contacted her Lawyer/ (Legal Advisor of many years), and had, in fact, informed him regarding the stipulations and the redesigning and naming "myself" as the "sole holder of her will rights". She added this was to remain strictly confidential for she felt if her family caught drift they would fight me for it and she desperatly did not want them to have access to this fortune. She then requested me to contact her lawyer and she gave me the address. I followed her directions and contacted her lawyer on Aug.23rd,06 and we(Lawyer & myself) have been communicating ever since. One week ago Betty's Lawyer phone me to inform me that Betty infact passed away, and now her lawyer wants to complete this transaction quickly. He wanted me to go to uk to accept personally, which is impossible, for I have no passport. Then he said the bank and power of attny, cost would be $1,000.00, that I was to send along with a copy of my drivers licence. Since when does one have to pay to recieve??? What if I can neither get over there, or unable to come up with the $1,000.00 ??? Will I then be forced to forfiet my rights to Betty's wishes and her will. This just is confusing and seems unfair just cause I am broke doesn't mean I don't desearve to recieve this kind gift. What steps can I take to insure this is a valid opportunity and a repitiable Lawyer???What are my options if any ??Are there requirements or obligations holding my position and where can I go for more info. I am told this a time sensitive matter.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely, Ms. Pamela Milovich Bellflower, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back