Roomate Two Roomates on same lease - one wants out - what are landlord's options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

f6rebel

I'm a landlord with a lease signed in Oct 08 by two separate parties sharing the rent on a home I own. They split the rent 50/50. One party has broken the lease and left. The other party is only paying her 1/2 of the rent. What are my options? Thanks in advance!

Inform the remaining tenant that the rent is "X" number of bucks (not half of this) and that failure to do so will result in an eviction and a lawsuit for owed back rent.

They have several options: 1. they can sue their former roommate for their share of the rent they are now paying, 2. they can (with your permission and approval) find another tenant to take this former roommates place.

Gail

Gail is, as always, correct. Your job as Landlord is to collect the rent in full! The roomat ebreaching lease is not your problem as of now since you still have a tenant there. The current tenant residing in home must pay full rent! He then can sue his former roomate for his/her portion of rent he had to pay until new roomate is found. Note you still must approve of new roomate tenant cannot just bring anyone in. The new tenant must meet whatever criteria old one did to live there. Once done you can then amend lease or allow new roomate to live there paying current tenant. In short sublease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back