Two electric meters, one house

Status
Not open for further replies.

aazo000

Hi, is it legal to have two electrical meters for one whole house? I guess once upon a time ago it use to be a two family house, but now its a single family. I have a separate meter for my gas and water. The electric company has already been out to investigate and stated that the landlord would have to do something about that. Could the landlord make me pay for both meters? One meter controls the upstairs and the other controls the downstairs. I'm getting double taxed, double everything! Is that legal?
Thanks!

Why would your bill be double everything if these meters are controlling different parts of the house? If you had just one meter, your bill should be the same as the combination of two meters (including the taxes).

It would be up to the landlord to do "something" about this if the electric company states this must be done.

Gail

I would think if I have two electric meters then they would put that on one bill. Not so. I have two separate bills. So I have double the taxes, service charge, delivery surcharges, & distribution charge. All for one house. I can understand the usage charges that's not the problem. The problem is paying the taxes and other charges the electric companies add on to the bill for the extra meter.

So...have you discussed this with your landlord?

Your initial question was is it legal to have two meters for one house. Yes; since this house was once divided into two units. Unless, of course, the particular area you live in does not allow this due to code restrictions. To find this out, you can contact your local code enforcement office.

Gail

I suggest that these individual meters are run to 60 amp circuit boxes and both are necessary without modifying the entire electrical system. The real question here is rather or not you knew or should have known they were present upon moving into the home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back