Turning a Matter Over to an Attorney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adverse

I am posting this in Small Claims because I am a defendant in a small claims case, but it is a general question.

If you notify someone that you have turned a matter over to an attorney, is there a point of law whereby the person that was badgering you has to stop, to contact the attorney?

Specifically, a person needed my permission in order to rebuild a community boat dock, something the US Army Corps of Engineers requires of all owners in a community dock.

When I did not go along with the plan, he and two other owners in the dock started harassing and threatening me. After four months of harassment, I notified the ringleader that I had turned the matter over to an attorney. He never asked who the attorney was and just kept on harassing and threatening me.

That was August, 2005, and he is still at it, 250 incidents of harassment later, now suing me for not paying my share of rebuilding the dock.

Was he obligated at law to quit bothering us when I notified him I had turned the matter over to an attorney?

In order words, was he obligated to cease and desist?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back