Roomate Trying to legally terminate our lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

3michi

My roomate and I are looking to terminate our contract with our current landlord. We have yet to move in, since our contract is from June 1 2009-2010. For listed reasons this is why we'd like to cancel our contract.
1. Contact is limited, it's hard to get a hold of them.
2. They promised us we could move in early but later changed their minds.
3. Other holdings are falling apart, and unsafe to live in.
4. We will live in an abandoned school---I'm uncertain about the building violations, the room has been leaking--although it doesn't affect our room it's been a while and they have yet to repair it.
5. My roomate and I are paying 200 each for ONE room; to clarify we are sharing one room and paying 400 total; wouldn't that violate a quote I found online that said "It's against the law for a landlord to collect rent from more than one tenant for the same premises."
6. We also feel that access to the premises has been denied to us and other renters. (Our stuff is in storage in their house and the doors have been locked several times making our things inaccessible.)
7. And we were wondering if, we are not able to move in on the 1st as promised, would that be a violation of the lease we signed, and allow us to
cancel it? (we've been trying to contact them about the move in day--have yet to hear back and are uncertain of our living situation)

Please help~! thanks.

Your best bet is to check with the local building department to determine when the apartment was last inspected. Tell them you are concerned that the space might not be up to code because (fill in the blank here). Then, contact the landlord and state that you will not be moving in unless said violations are repaired. Chances are the landlord will simply return your deposit and not worry about the costly repairs or possible legal implications of renting to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back