Trustee issues: right to discovery

G

I have a question about legal procedure. It has to do with my right to discovery.

I am the beneficiary of a trust. Two weeks ago there was a hearing in which the trustee sought approval for payment of legal fees to the trustee's attorney. I objected orally at the hearing: the attorney was seeking payment for activities done in bad faith --- namely delaying distribution without genuine justification so that the trustee could garner more fees.

The judge asked me to provide within four weeks written objections to the attorney's invoices,The trustee's attorney will then have four weeks to provide a response.

I think this is a set up for the trustee's attorney to take still more funds from the trust in addition to what he is already charging for. Even if the attorney's fees to date are reduced, it is likely that any reduction, in all likelihood, would be more than offset by the attorney's fees for defending his fees.

The invoices refer to numerous emails between the trustee and the trustee's attorney. Do I have a right to see those invoices?

I have a question about legal procedure. It has to do with my right to discovery.

I am the beneficiary of a trust. Two weeks ago there was a hearing in which the trustee sought approval for payment of legal fees to the trustee's attorney. I objected orally at the hearing: the attorney was seeking payment for activities done in bad faith --- namely delaying distribution without genuine justification so that the trustee could garner more fees.

The judge asked me to provide within four weeks written objections to the attorney's invoices,The trustee's attorney will then have four weeks to provide a response.

I think this is a set up for the trustee's attorney to take still more funds from the trust in addition to what he is already charging for. Even if the attorney's fees to date are reduced, it is likely that any reduction, in all likelihood, would be more than offset by the attorney's fees for defending his fees.

The invoices refer to numerous emails between the trustee and the trustee's attorney. Do I have a right to see those invoices?

The court doesn't care what you think, feel, or surmise.
Your legal arguments and your proof are all that matter.

You should address your inquiries to the court.
Nothing anyone says here, even if he or she were a Supreme Court Justice of the United States would be of any interest, import, or concern to YOUR trial judge.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back