Truck Title Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBoD99

Almost 4 years ago I bought a truck, the guy I bought it from was a friend who needed the money to help pay on his new truck. I have been in battles for almost 4 years to get the title of the truck I bought. I have called them, went to their home when they said they would be there to talk.. been dodge/avoided. I threatened to sue and they finally responded. Knowing I was out of town, they gave me a 30 min window to pick up the title. They would not reschedule, they would not mail it, they would not leave it at the Police Department for me to pick up at a later date. Obviously I can not make it, and I'm not sure if my friend can make it there in time. What action can I take against them IF I do not get the title, and IF I get the title? It was still 4 years of basically fraud, and then they knew I could not make it giving me a 30 min window before 'they cut off all communications'

Update it looks like she has increased the price of the truck.. but not for the full price I paid

Almost 4 years ago I bought a truck, the guy I bought it from was a friend who needed the money to help pay on his new truck. I have been in battles for almost 4 years to get the title of the truck I bought. I have called them, went to their home when they said they would be there to talk.. been dodge/avoided. I threatened to sue and they finally responded. Knowing I was out of town, they gave me a 30 min window to pick up the title. They would not reschedule, they would not mail it, they would not leave it at the Police Department for me to pick up at a later date. Obviously I can not make it, and I'm not sure if my friend can make it there in time. What action can I take against them IF I do not get the title, and IF I get the title? It was still 4 years of basically fraud, and then they knew I could not make it giving me a 30 min window before 'they cut off all communications'

There is very little, if anything you can do now.

Why?

You allowed four years to pass without obtaining the title.

No matter what you do, this will be a "you said" vs. a "they said".

In fact, without the title, I suspect if you push them, they "MIGHT" claim you "STOLE" the truck.

Or, they may say that you "RENTED" the truck.

How could they prove that?

Well, when you buy a vehicle, you don't hand over the cash, until they sign over the title.

From what you've said, I think they gotcha by the old "short hairs"; and they don't seem willing to let go.

They probably asked a similar question about loaning (or renting) a guy a truck, and now he's demanding they give him the title.

Anything about the update?

Thank you for the response btw. I was told by the DMV I could sue for fraud(not getting the title) and for any damages(jobs I could not keep/take due to no vehicle)

Edit: I know the people I bought it from(Was good friends with their son, and did a lot of work around their place before all of this) so I don't think they would go as far as to twist it completely around.. although at this point I can't say they wouldn't have if I didn't get the title

Last edited:
Anything about the update?

Thank you for the response btw. I was told by the DMV I could sue for fraud(not getting the title) and for any damages(jobs I could not keep/take due to no vehicle)

Edit: I know the people I bought it from(Was good friends with their son, and did a lot of work around their place before all of this) so I don't think they would go as far as to twist it completely around.. although at this point I can't say they wouldn't have if I didn't get the title

Do you have a bill of sale?

Do you have anything in writing to support your story?

If you do, you'll need those, if you sue (or get sued).

Did you have any witnesses with you during the initial transaction?

Those might help you prove your assertions.

As far as the sellers being "good people", do "good people" withhold your title?

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

The bill of sale was ''lost'' by their son when he was cleaning out the truck, hence the long drawn out battle. The title was filled out by them and has 500$ as the sale price, I was told there was another form that was included with the title that has the price up to "1200 NO FRAUD INTENDED", since I'm not in town I can not read over it and see if that will have any effect at this point in time. I paid 1500 for the truck, almost everyone in town knows I bought it from them(no witnesses beyond them and my father)

The bill of sale was ''lost'' by their son when he was cleaning out the truck, hence the long drawn out battle. The title was filled out by them and has 500$ as the sale price, I was told there was another form that was included with the title that has the price up to "1200 NO FRAUD INTENDED", since I'm not in town I can not read over it and see if that will have any effect at this point in time. I paid 1500 for the truck, almost everyone in town knows I bought it from them(no witnesses beyond them and my father)

It might be time to let this go. It isn't looking bright for you without proof. As I said, it boils down to their word against yours. Besides, it's probably a rusty bucket of bolts anyway today.

But, if they won't agree to meet you halfway, your remedy lies in small claims. That won't get you the title, small claims courts can't order that. But, you might get a few bucks back, not in cash, but in a judgment. Then you have to try and collect.

If I were you, offer them $200 to give you the title.
But, don't give the money until you get the title.
Even 10 year olds on the playground, know not to give up the marbles, until you hand over the baseball at the same time.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back