Trip that did not happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

tashasmh

This year a friend (great friend, was extremely close) was giving a wknd getaway trip. 8 of my friends decided to come with me on this trip for $320-$350 a person. at the very last minute (3 days before the trip) he calls me saying that he cancelled the trip (on his own) because he didnt like the changes that the company had to make with the trip. i have been on these trips before, and i know when a trip is cancelled so late by the host, they dont give the $ back..but he said that he worked out something with them and got our $ back...and that he would get our $ to us within 2 wks after the trip... here it is 2 months later and still no $ back...during this time frame, it has been stated by the company that he did NOT pay them any $ on behalf of the trip, so because of that he did tell me they were not sending him the check so he said he would be paying everyone out of his pocket (i have texts msgs and such stating that he is giving back the $, as well as most of these ppl also have direct msgs from him stating the same). 2 of my friends have file a civil case against him, he didnt show up to court, they were given forms to fill out for execution of wages but are now at a stand still because the court requires them to get confirmation that he is not in the military from him directly, or his employer, neither are cooperating with giving that confirmation, therefore they cannot finish the wage execution paper process. I did take this as a loss and lesson learned for myself but i would like for these ppl to get their $ back from him as promised by him... also not everyone has receipts but he did acknowledge having to pay those that dont have a receipt as well as the rest...
1 of 2 that filed against, has mentioned since he didnt show up that she was going to file against me. Will she be able to do that and win?

Who knows if she'll win.
If she feels aggrieved enough, tell her to file a small claims suit and pursue him.

Someone might be misinformed about how to collect a judgment.

The following information is taken directly from the New Jersey small claims self-help website.

If you win a court judgment against someone, you are entitled to get information about their finances so you can collect the money they owe you. First you must send them an Information Subpoena requesting the information. If the person doesn't give you the information, you can use these forms to make them do so. A Motion to Enforce Litigant's Rights is an application to the court for the purpose of obtaining an Order directing a party to either comply with a previous discovery order or to complete an Information Subpoena.

1. You must have obtained a judgment against the other party.
2. You must have sent an Information Subpoena to the other party, which was not answered in 14 days; or the other party failed to comply with a previous court Order for discovery.
3. There is no fee for filing this motion in the Special Civil Part.

http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/prose/index.htm

http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/prose/10546.pdf

today is the 14th day, do you think the courts will send something to both parties?

The person that received the judgment must send the subpoena.

The court won't initiate anything.

This is why most people hire lawyers.

It also illustrates why it can be very frustrating to sue for nominal amounts.

Many people have judgments, yet never collect a penny.

The process must be followed precisely as outlined.

You need to thoroughly read and become knowledgeable with the process.

If you don't, you'll never get paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back