Trial Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmithofSC

My jurisdiction is: South Carolina

I am involved with a case (pro se) coming to trial fairly soon and I need to know when certain documents can be used at trial. This is where two cases have been consolidated. I sued contractors for Breach of Contract, Fraud, and violation of the SCUTPA. They had already sued for Foreclosure of Mechanic's Lien, Breach of Contract, and Quantum Merit but they did not serve it until after they had Answered my suit.

What I need to know right now is the following; I know that responses to Discovery, interrogatories and request for admissions, can be published to the jury but I don't know exactly what that means entirely. I assume it means I can read them to the jury, but not actually enter them as evidence. When in the trial can that be done? Can it be done during my testimony? Can it be done during my closing argument? Can it be done during my opening argument?

Also, other documents already on file with the court in this case, can they be entered as evidence because they are now public property? If so, does that mean I must purchase a certified copy from the clerk? Can they be published to the jury just as the discovery documents can?

Will very much appreciate any information

I don't know about your jurisdiction, but where I am it's common to read in transcripts etc. at the start of your evidence before calling any witnesses.

Opening and closing are reserved for argument. Don't attempt to give evidence in either.

Sorry I can't help with your other question - consult your rules of court or court clerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back