trees on property lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

argile

I have a tree close to property line, with branches that extend to neighbor yard, at last snow storm (couple of days ago) apparently some of the overhanging branches broke off and fell in my neighbor property due to weight of snow.
This morning I found him trowing them back at my yard saying to me "I am returning your branches back to you"
Is it legal to throw tree branches (branches from tree on my property) that fell in his property back in my back yard?

Thank you

There's two general rules here:

1) The owner of the property (i.e. you) that the tree is planted on has the duty to maintain it, and is responsible for damage caused by the tree.
2) The owner of property (i.e. him) becomes the owner of anything that falls from trees onto their property. (Whence the term "windfall".)

I would hazard a guess that, technically, the branches have become his property, so he's incorrect in saying that they're still yours. On the other hand, you're responsible for cleaning them up, regardless of whose they legally are.

There's two general rules here:

1) The owner of the property (i.e. you) that the tree is planted on has the duty to maintain it, and is responsible for damage caused by the tree.
2) The owner of property (i.e. him) becomes the owner of anything that falls from trees onto their property. (Whence the term "windfall".)

I would hazard a guess that, technically, the branches have become his property, so he's incorrect in saying that they're still yours. On the other hand, you're responsible for cleaning them up, regardless of whose they legally are.

My car winshield was broken due to neighbor's large tree branches broken off and fall on my car - They clean up the fallen branches but not agree to fix my windshield - They said they call their home insurance and insurance said this is "act of God", not covered
My question is should they liable for damge on my car ? What action should I take ? Call police? Where can I file claim/complaint?
Thanks
Thuan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back