Transsmission warrenty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnathan201

Hello, I had got a car about a month ago from a friend that lived in New York, He told me i could have the car but the transmission had to be rebuilt. My dad had the car in his name before the transmission got rebuilt. My friend in NY brought the car in the shop. We went on a weekend to go pick up the car from the shop. That weekend they only stayed open till noon or something like that, my dad contacted his brother to give my friend the money to pay the transmission shop. when we reached there that night we got the car drove around new york and they went back to north carolina the following day. It has been a month now and the transmission is giving the same problem. We called the shop and they said the 1 year warrenty is only in NY. No-where on the receipt does it say that. I have asked him if we could get it repaired where i live and send them the bill and says no .. I ask him if he will pay for the towing he also will not do that. If i could drive the car i would, but it doesn't shift from second gear. which can put stress on the engine. Im starting to think if they even rebuilt the transmission or just put some fluids and just cleaned it to make it look like its rebuilt. I need some serious advice of what my parents could do to solve this. PLease help.

Johnathan201 said:
Hello, I had got a car about a month ago from a friend that lived in New York, He told me i could have the car but the transmission had to be rebuilt. My dad had the car in his name before the transmission got rebuilt. My friend in NY brought the car in the shop. We went on a weekend to go pick up the car from the shop. That weekend they only stayed open till noon or something like that, my dad contacted his brother to give my friend the money to pay the transmission shop. when we reached there that night we got the car drove around new york and they went back to north carolina the following day. It has been a month now and the transmission is giving the same problem. We called the shop and they said the 1 year warrenty is only in NY. No-where on the receipt does it say that. I have asked him if we could get it repaired where i live and send them the bill and says no .. I ask him if he will pay for the towing he also will not do that. If i could drive the car i would, but it doesn't shift from second gear. which can put stress on the engine. Im starting to think if they even rebuilt the transmission or just put some fluids and just cleaned it to make it look like its rebuilt. I need some serious advice of what my parents could do to solve this. PLease help.
The only practical remedy you have is to bring it back to the original shop -- at least that is the way I see it. They offered you a warranty and even though it doesn't say it is in NY, what were you expecting? Does it say what the warranty consists of, e.g. they will fix or replace the item at no additional cost? Going to a local area and sending them the bill does not qualify and it's your decision to drive the car away from the shop and out of the state. Thinking logically, would it make sense if the car was transported to Australia to make the shop responsible for replacing the transmission, which might cost more than was paid for the allegedly faulty transmission in the first instance? I'm sorry about your problem but there is no easy fix and I think you can appreciate the situation.

You bought the car as is, knowing there was a previous problem with the transmission. You took the car out of state. Nobody is under any obligation to allow you to get the car fixed anywhere you want then expect the shop to reimburse you or pay for towing.

If you want the car fixed then you need to take it to the shop that is offering the warranty.

See if you know somebodyy that has a big truck that might be able to pull the car for you, as long as somebody is in it to operate the brakes, or see about putting the car on a lift. Paying a tow company would be a rip off but somebody you know that has a tow hitch might be willing to help you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back