Transfer schools in another state at 18?

Aiyannah

Jurisdiction
Texas
Hello. So, I am 17 years old at the moment and a junior in high school. I've had a lot of bullying problems at my current school and not enough support from the school system. I have a boyfriend who is 17 and lives out of state (Florida) who's family is willing to allow me to live with them and such. I'll be 18 in December 2020, and was wondering when I turn 18 if I can transfer schools from Texas to Florida and move there? I've tried doing some research and all that popped up in the search results was that I can do what I want at 18. I just feel I need some legal opinions and/or facts on if this is legal. I plan on working during high school and will never drop out, as I have big goals. But living in a small town in Texas with these big goals isn't helping me. I feel that if I am able to go live somewhere with safe people and continue to chase my dream where it is more likely to happen, I should do it. I actually have a very good support system at the current residence I live in, and they are all up for me making my own choices when I'm 18. I just need to know if it is possible for me to transfer schools from Texas to Florida.

It's true. On your 18th birthday you become a legal adult.

The best way to find out about transferring to another high school when you are 18 is pick the high school where your BF lives and call up the admin office and ask about the transfer procedure for an 18 year old who wants to complete the final year. Make sure you get something in writing about the process.

Meantime, I suggest you enroll in martial arts training after school, build up your confidence and learn how to handle bullies.

Agreed. Go where you want when 18, but look into it ahead of time and make sure you establish residency as required. Also find out if you will be required to take additional classes, such as Florida history/government or anything else that doesn't transfer over.
A million different things can happen between then and now. The easiest thing for you to do is likely to wait it out an additional 6 months and finish school where you are.

If your friend is not 18 by then do both of you a favor and do not move in together.

Frankly, I wouldn't plan your life around those accommodations being available a year from now. Things can change a LOT in a year.

I'll be 18 in December 2020, and was wondering when I turn 18 if I can transfer schools from Texas to Florida and move there?

Once you turn 18, you'll be a legal adult in both Texas and Florida and will be free to move wherever you please. You'll have to check with the school in Florida where you propose to transfer to discuss what will be needed.

Frankly, I wouldn't plan your life around those accommodations being available a year from now. Things can change a LOT in a year.

Concur.

Hello. So, I am 17 years old at the moment and a junior in high school. I've had a lot of bullying problems at my current school and not enough support from the school system. I have a boyfriend who is 17 and lives out of state (Florida) who's family is willing to allow me to live with them and such. I'll be 18 in December 2020, and was wondering when I turn 18 if I can transfer schools from Texas to Florida and move there? I've tried doing some research and all that popped up in the search results was that I can do what I want at 18. I just feel I need some legal opinions and/or facts on if this is legal. I plan on working during high school and will never drop out, as I have big goals. But living in a small town in Texas with these big goals isn't helping me. I feel that if I am able to go live somewhere with safe people and continue to chase my dream where it is more likely to happen, I should do it. I actually have a very good support system at the current residence I live in, and they are all up for me making my own choices when I'm 18. I just need to know if it is possible for me to transfer schools from Texas to Florida.
That's all well and good that your online boyfriend and his family want you to move in with them but what happens when you and online boyfriend break up and you''re stuck in a state with no one to help you and no where to go?

Note that Florida doesn't have a state-wide law regarding the maximum age, so it would behoove you to investigate whether they'll even allow you to enroll there.

Back