Trailer owner collecting rent on my land free? HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcgrath05

Crazy situation. Going through divorce, house was repossessed (his name only) and land (through owner finance) was paid off by myself (both names). At mediation, he agreed to accept the debt of the house, and signed a Quit Claim deed to me for the land. The lady who purchased the house from the mortgage company was also trying to purchase the land from the prior land-owner due to lack of payments for months, but never legally pursued. So, in the end, this lady had been renting out the house (is a Realtor) on the property that is solely mine, and has never paid a penny for the use of my land while she is collecting and profiting on the use of it. My concern is that this has been going on since July 1, and it is now a new year. Property taxes are due, along with homestead exemption, which could greatly affect my taxes. I don't know my rights-of her using my property without paying, and how to get her partially liable for the taxes. She came up with some story that if I tried to enforce her to pay for use of the land that the judge would send someone over to measure how much land is actually being used by these people instead of the entire 3 acres. She doesn't believe that she needs to pay anything for the use of it. During the course of this and her finding out that I am the final land owner, she has evicted the previous tenants and had the audacity to bring in new tenants still collecting money. She is collecting about $800/month. She only paid about $13K for the house itself. I also fear if someone were to get hurt who lives there. I would be responsible? Technically, they are all trespassing as they don't have my actual permission to be collecting rent. I am also trying to sell the land, and I am afraid that this is affecting lookers. What are my rights and what should I do? Thanks so much.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back