Criminal Law tourist, shoplift and class A misdemeanor charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkaite2thelaw

Hi, my mother is a tourist in texas and she did shoplifting (removed upc barcode from several items with total amount of $38.00) ,arrested, booked and bailed out for $750.00.

I just got her incident report and she was charged with CLASS A MISDEMEANOR (fraudulent destruction, etc of writing)

I do not want her to be banned to enter America, and I know if she wants to visit America again she must not be convicted with a crime which has punishment equivalent to less than 1 year jail time.

my questions:
1. if later of she gets convicted with this offense; with a lawyer is it possible to get a punishment equivalent to less than 1 year jail time?
2. if she gets convicted with CLASS A MISDEMEANOR and get a punishment equivalent to less than 1 year jail time, will she be allowed to visit america again?

Thank you very much for your help

Getting convicted would be bad... very bad. Given the very small amount of money hopefully something can be worked out although this may still constitute a conviction for INS purposes. The other issue is that I believe this may also be a crime of "moral turpitude" or one that is reflective of her "character." This might be different if this were an arrest for disturbing the peace of the like. Speaking to the American Consulate where she got her visa might provide some answers but be prepared. This isn't a small issue, especially with so many wanting to enter the US.

kkaite2thelaw said:
Hi, my mother is a tourist in texas and she did shoplifting (removed upc barcode from several items with total amount of $38.00) ,arrested, booked and bailed out for $750.00.

I just got her incident report and she was charged with CLASS A MISDEMEANOR (fraudulent destruction, etc of writing)

I do not want her to be banned to enter America, and I know if she wants to visit America again she must not be convicted with a crime which has punishment equivalent to less than 1 year jail time.

my questions:
1. if later of she gets convicted with this offense; with a lawyer is it possible to get a punishment equivalent to less than 1 year jail time?
2. if she gets convicted with CLASS A MISDEMEANOR and get a punishment equivalent to less than 1 year jail time, will she be allowed to visit america again?

Thank you very much for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back