Too Many Bedrooms for Septic System

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmpinva

We bought our house five years ago. The house was sold to us as a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath. The county tax assessors office has it listed the same way. However, we found out that the original builder who sold it to the previous owner could only get a septic system on the lot for a three bedroom. He tried to get it for a four bedroom and was turned down. He then faxed the county back to tell them it was only going to build a three bedroom. Somewhere along the line either the builder of previous owner started claiming it was a 4 bedroom. We were looking at building an in-law suite on our house when we found this out. The fourth bedroom is a bonus room and we're told it is likely that the closet was covered in sheet rock during inspection and then opened back up. I'm not sure who originally sold it as a 4 bedroom, the builder or the owner we bought it from. So now we have a 4 bedroom house that has a septic system that is only rated for a 3 bedroom. Shouldn't someone has caught this error when we bought the house? I'm afraid to ask anyone at the county for fear that I will be pointing out the error to them and in turn lower the value of our house.

Thanks,

DMP

Why not upgrade the septic system?

If you report it now, you'll probably be held harmless.
After all, you didn't do anything illegal or deceitful.
You're the victim here.

You might even have recourse against the seller.

If you don't and it is discovered, then you might be held accountable.

Thanks for the reply. Upgrading the septic system would be a large expense that we simply can't afford. I would have thought that the realtor or individual that did the house inspection for us should have caught the error, but unfortunately they did not. I guess it's our problem now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back